Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Another "Does this stuff only happen to me?" Tale...

I love to run. I would prefer running outside most of the time but my schedule and the crazy temperatures of Tucson in the summer force me to run on a treadmill at the gym most days. So my usual gym routine consists of watching trashy reality television shows on the little TV's attached to the treadmills to pass the time quickly and keep me from getting bored running in place for 30-40 minutes. So last week my alarm goes off at 4:15am, I hop out of bed, get dressed and head out the door to get my run on at the gym. I usually see the same people every morning which includes an older lady that tans way too much and an older guy that thinks he is 25 rather than 55 and wears some very interesting things. I also see the very sweet wife of the pastor of our church. I used to babysit their children when I was in college and really enjoy chatting with her some mornings while we run.

So, back to this certain morning at the gym. I walk in, fill up my water bottle, turn on my trashy television and begin my 4 mile journey. I notice the pastors wife walk in, wave and keep running. She takes a treadmill one away from mine and I think nothing of it. Then all of the sudden I notice a man getting on the treadmill next to mine. Ok, no big....HOLD UP! It is my pastor!!! All of the sudden I am very aware of the horrible trashy television I am watching and I change the channel to Fox News. He says hello, I say hello and I keep running. "I really need to stop watching this horrible stuff if I get this guilty with my pastor running on the treadmill next to mine" I think. Now, let me tell you that I am sure my pastor could care less what I am watching. He is a very kind man that probably thought nothing of it if he even noticed at all what I was watching. Then I think  " I wonder how the drama is unfolding on that horribly trashy reality show" and I change the channel back. Oh well- maybe I will give him a good sermon illustration one day. Hey, maybe I gave him a new show to check out...maybe.... Like I have asked before, does this stuff only happen to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment